Monday, May 20, 2013

Puerto Rican Atun Guisado and Rockstar Status

I love to cook. Okay, let me rephrase that. I love to BAKE. Unfortunately, my family cannot survive on baked goods (this is a travesty). So, I have to cook, and I enjoy the obligation as long as there isn't too much attention to detail or chopping involved. 

We like to keep our diet as gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar free as possible. Although we have a weakness for pizza....who doesn't? Being that our diet is restricted, really good, really easy, really inexpensive dinners with leftovers (these are all criteria of mine) are hard to come by. We love swapping dinner ideas with friends and tonight's was a hit! We recently met and became friends with our across the street neighbor's Abi and Miguel. Abi and Miguel are Puerto Rican and are more than willing to teach me how to expand my cooking horizons. What I have learned so far from our short friendship is Abi is an awesome cook and I have a lot to learn. She made us some Puerto Rican rice and beans last week that was ridiculously good. Tears were shed when it was all gone. By the kids...or maybe me too. ;) Anyway she shared this recipe with me for Atun Guisado (stewed tuna), and it is so so good, easy, healthy, inexpensive, and provides leftovers. Check.


Puerto Rican Atun Guisado

1-2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tomatoes, cubed
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1 pkg frozen pepper/onion mix (Abi uses fresh, but I avoid chopping at all cost)
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp oregano
1tsp onion powder
salt & pepper to taste
2 tsp red wine vinegar
3 cans tuna in olive oil
1/3 small can tomato sauce (Goya spanish style if available-in ethnic aisle)
Cilantro

1. Heat oil in pan
2. When hot, add tomatoes to pan and let soften. Once soft, smooth with fork to make a chunky sauce
3. Add garlic, cook until fragrant (about 1 min)
4. Add frozen pepper mix and cover, stirring frequently until soft
5. Add cumin, coriander, oregano, onion powder, salt and pepper, and vinegar to veggies
6. Once all is combined, add tuna including the olive oil
7. Let tuna soften with the heat and then add tomato sauce and gently combine all ingredients
8. Once done, add fresh cilantro (I added about 10 leaves or so) and cook 1 more minute. 
9. Serve hot over rice. 





In kid news, Holden was sure to show me his rockstar looks today:






1 comment:

  1. I would love the rice and beans recipe!!! I'll try this one in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete