Friday, July 12, 2013

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Day 3

Travel day #3 Addis Ababa July 1, 2013

The team landed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia after an eleven-hour flight. After interviewing the team members it didn’t seem like anyone really slept on the flight, which isn’t a good thing being that we landed at 6:30am. Personally, I tried. I really did, but every time I shut my eyes I would fall into this light “rest”. I could hear everything around me, but I wasn’t sleeping. It was frustrating at the time, but I had no idea how much of an impact it would have later. One of my issues was anxiety about landing in the Addis Airport. I had been told so much about what not to say, how not to bring attention to the group, etc., that it was a bit nerve wracking. Nicholas and I are big fans of A&E’s Locked Up Abroad, and it wasn’t something I care to ever experience.

We got off the plane to a wet and cool Addis, and after finding each other, we found the Visa line…the really really long visa line. Apparently Addis is popular this time of year? We shuffled through Visas and Customs with no problems whatsoever and attempted to find all 60+ bags of luggage. We were mostly successful, only one bag of donations and a guitar was left behind in DC. Then on to the xray machines. This is why I was so anxious. I had been prepped about not saying “donations” and to just nonchalantly breeze through assuring the Ethiopian officials that we were bringing in gifts, and personal items for friends….with 50, 50lbs bags of donations….(did I mention Locked Up Abroad?). There have already been times on this trip where I thought I would burst from stress and then God was like “I told you I would take care of you, didn’t I?” and He does. There was not an official standing at the xray machines, NOT ONE! We each loaded our bags onto the belt and each unloaded our bags on the belt, it was like they didn’t even see us. Wow. When will I learn that God’s got it anyway?

We emerged from security to find Bissy! And Gecho! And Kelly! So so nice to see familiar faces! To all who don’t know, Bissy is a longtime friend of Ordinary Hero’s. He was our very first translator on our very first trip to Addis and has been a faithful friend every since. Last year Bissy was given the opportunity to come to America and travel to churches and other gatherings to share his powerful testimony! He’s touched lives all over the world. A modern day disciple. Gecho has been a driver for OH for a long time too, and also had the opportunity to come to America last year. And Kelly Putty, founder and Executive Director of Ordinary Hero. Kelly also has an awesome story and the vision of Ordinary Hero is all hers….she’s a world changer.

We left the airport to head out to the vans and over to the guest house. Believe it or not, it is just now hitting me that we are not in America any longer. Addis is beautiful. It’s very green, mountains surrounding with flowers growing every where. Lilies are one of my favorite flowers and there are bushed full of lilies. So pretty. There are people everywhere. Living on the side of the road in lean-to tents, growing a crop of some sort, selling produce or homemade wares. Driving in not for the faint of heart. There seems to be a general side of the road in which one drives, but there are few other rules. According to Kelly, there are relatively few accidents though. There is no insurance, so if you get in an accident you are 100% liable. There is incentive to not crash into your neighbor.

We arrived at the Providence Guest House, which Ordinary Hero now officially runs! This is big for Ordinary Hero! The house is amazing. Top to bottom marble, large rooms, comfy beds, bathrooms galore, huge meeting area, and the sweetest staff. We hope the other adoptive families and mission groups discover this Life Center and love it as much as we do. We were quickly assigned rooms and left to explore the house and have a breakfast snack of oatmeal, cinnamon rolls, and coffee. If you haven’t tried Ethiopian coffee, do.

We met for a quick team meeting to introduce ourselves, and then headed out to IAG – International Adoption Guides transition home. A transition home is where children go after they have been placed. IAG has tons of children at this home that are still waiting for families. The house consists of an outside concrete play yard, a downstairs common area, and two upper floors with rooms for the older kids and rooms full of babies. I walked into the top floor baby room where there were 12-15 cribs with two babies each. Some were sleeping and some where not, but it was silent besides the nannies hustling and bustling. I have never experienced anything like it! I was purely delighted to see one baby girl in particular that I had seen on the blog from last weeks trip. I sat in our office and joked to Nick that I could eat that baby girl. ;) I was so excited to see her and she was even sweeter in the flesh. While many of the babies were subdued and chill, she was full of personality, had a mouth full of teeth and just grinned non-stop. They usually don’t know exactly how old the babies are, but I feel like after raising two, I’m a pretty good guesser and I would guess she was between 9 months and one year old. She could crawl and would take steps if you held her hands, but wasn’t walking yet. After hearing the nanny “call” her, I thought her name was “Sept”, but I really have no idea. I had to distract her with a toy so I could slip away, which seriously breaks my heart. Chances are this baby has been placed already. Babies don’t stay long in Ethiopia. It makes sense. Parents want the most time possible with their kids. Time to love, make memories, teach and mold. The easiest way to to this is with a baby. However, there are tons of older children that have been waiting and waiting and waiting with no parents, memories, teaching and molding. Sometimes it makes me so mad. How unfair is that anyway? They go to bed at night without a person in the world.



We left IAG to go back to the Life Center. Every single one of us in the van fell asleep quickly and sleep-walked into the house. Some went straight up to bed and slept the night away, some took a nap and joined us for an early dinner, and some (like myself) decided the power nap would do and would help me sleep through the night later. I took and shower and then headed to the basement to start sorting out a few of those 50lb donation bags. We all had our ways of collecting donations. Personally our Sunday school class – Sanctified – graciously donated tons and tons of blessing bags, personal care items, clothes, toys, baby bottles, crayons, paper, etc. THANK YOU!!! I collected things over a couple of weeks, but when I got everything out, I was overwhelmed with the amount of things given. THANK YOU!!!


Zombies @ IAG



After that I was flat out ready for bed…it was 8:00pm. J



No comments:

Post a Comment