Monday, July 15, 2013

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Day #4 & 5

Travel day #4 July 2, 2013

I did wake around 4:30am but went back to sleep after a bit and woke around 6:45 when the Muslim call to worship started.

We got to meet an adoptive mama, Michelle and her sweet new baby Selah. They quickly fell into pace with our group, went with us on missions and was a huge blessing in many ways!

We enjoyed a breakfast of eggs, fruit, and banana bread.
The team gathered and left the Life Center at 9:30 and went to the Kidane Mehret Orphanage. This orphanage has been there since the 1930s, and is run by nuns from the church. They take in all ages, nationalities, and abilities. We visited and played with the kids for a long time. I became fast friends with this little boy, his name is Targus. Targus is ten years old and completely 100% stole my heart. He is a beautiful boy with eye-lashes that curl completely back to his eyelids. Seriously gorgeous. He was so quiet but clung to me. He loves football (soccer). He said he likes school, and his favorite subjects are math and English, but he comes "home" and just practices soccer until bedtime. He told me he’s practicing so he can get really good. His favorite team is Manchester United. They passed out candy sticks, kind of like pixie stix, he made sure to go get me one, which is so sweet. He asked me if I had kids so I showed him pictures of Holden and Adelaide. He thought Holden’s faces were so funny. He’s been at the orphanage for three years. I need to know more about him. 


Targus


Playground


"Yard"


Everywhere in Addis has a backdrop of beautiful mountains


The Catholic church that runs the orphanage


Kenya & Skyler Schone


"Hit your friends" game...or Ninja


Maddie and her sweet friend Mekedes


We left the orphanage and went to lunch at Lucy’s “fast” food. It was fun going to an Ethiopian restaurant. They had a huge menu. I ordered a pizza, thinking personal sized and it was large sized. No worries though, because what I didn’t eat, the sponsored kids we brought with us would. Lunch was really fun and I got to meet and get to know more of my team members, which is turning out to be a really really great team.




The goat head Maddie found on the side of the road. She really wanted to keep it, unfortunately I don't think the driver or the other team members were nearly as thrilled


After lunch we went to the Hope for the Hopeless house to help them move out. Hope for the Hopeless (H4H) is an organization that brings children in off the street, gets them sponsored and basically gives a future. They send them to school, feed them, clothe them, provide for other basic needs with help from sponsors. H4H had the opportunity to buy a large house so all of the current kids could go there, and they would have room to bring 12 more kids from the streets to the old house. We came in to visit with the kids and help their move, as well as to bring some housewares. We went to the first house and played with the kids for a while. They all had to say goodbye to their current caregiver (Sammy), which was really heart-breaking to watch. We then left and went to their new house, which was HUGE!! What a blessing for these kids to have the bathrooms, bedrooms, and common areas needed for such a large group of children. It was really neat to see. Moving them consisted of a couple of bags for clothes…that’s it. I’m pretty sure I saw one box of books too. The children were so proud of their beds. It took awhile to realize that they were so proud of their beds because that’s all they have.

By the time we left the H4H house it was late. Dinner was ready for us when we returned, so we ate and relaxed a bit before having a team meeting. At the team meeting we got to go around and share thoughts about our day. This was extremely emotional. I am an emotional person and can cry really easy especially when it involves children. So of course I cried at my turn…I got a chance to share about Targus, which is so close to my heart. It dawned on me that I may never see him again and thinking about him in those walls with the big heavy gate and barbed-wire makes me so sad.



 Travel Day #5 July 3, 2013

I was so happy to sleep all the way through the night! I went downstairs to read and Ryan was teaching Maddie (love her!!) how to make friendship bracelets to give out to the kids. I learned too and it was really fun and fast so I made a couple before breakfast. Breakfast was really good oatmeal and hardboiled eggs.

We left the house and headed to No Ordinary Love Ministries (NOLM). NOLM is a transition home for women and children that have been enslaved in human trafficking. All of these people were kidnapped or coerced into really terrible situations, so NOLM takes them in and rehabilitates them and then reunites them with their families. Ordinary Hero’s donors gave us the opportunity to give them three sheep for a special feast they were having. A lot of the mom’s and siblings of the children came to the house to join in the feast. After the past two days of seeing children without any parents at all, it was nice to see mom’s with their children and the pride and love they had for them. We played with them for a while and some of the girls got to braid some of our team’s hair. We then served them their meal. They sit in a room of benches in rows and eat their meal on their laps. This meal consisted of sheep, angera (a flat bread-like substance that they eat with most meals by scooping the meat or sauce up with it), something that looked like couscous and a roll with a glass of water. It was amazing to see these little kids eat in this way and they were cleaner than my kids eat with utensils and a table. J NOLM was so fun and definitely was a blessing to get to see them!


Jimmy & Rachel Gross explaining No Ordinary Love Ministries www.noordinarylove.org



Cooking up some sheep





The girls loved braiding hair. I was mad I just chopped mine.


All of the kids eating their sheep feast


The sweetest twins ever




Lee Ann and her little friend


Caitlin getting some snuggles


Donkeys in the middle of the road. This is not unusual.


After NOLM we went to lunch at a restaurant that was really nice. We ordered drinks and food so it wouldn’t be a two-hour lunch like Tuesday. I ordered cheese and spinach ravioli and it was very good.




Up next was FashionABLE. FashionABLE is an organization that helps women out of prostitution and into sustainable living by making scarves and selling them. They recently moved to a new building that would have room for 100 women compared to 20 at the old building. They didn’t have any of their new looms yet, but they did show us how they heated and dyed the fabric. We got the opportunity to go into their store and purchase scarves. I’m sure they love it when groups like ours come visit because we all probably bought one or two scarves.










The street boys have a self-organized soccer league and we promised we would play with them at 4:30, so despite the soggy conditions, they led us to their field that was a swamp after all of the rain. After much deliberation we decided we would still play. I decided I would watch since I didn’t want to get hurt or ruin my shoes. At the last minute though, I did get pulled into the USA against Ethiopia game. I did not contribute much, but it was really fun. The boys and some of the team members were completely covered in mud from top to bottom. After being beat by the Ethiopia team (no surprise there) we went back to the life center for dinner and showers. Our team meeting was short and sweet. Tomorrow is Korah…


Walking to the soccer field. There were so many of us. I would've loved to know what the locals thought


No comments:

Post a Comment